I admire this cake to bits since I was growing up. When I was living back home in Indonesia, I remember asking my mum about the unique of this cake that make the baker charge them quite expensive. She said the time consuming of making this beautiful layer cake is one of the factor. Well, I can now totally understand the reason behind them, I spent 4 hours to make this cake but I can tell you that is all worth it! Love the spice aroma that comes from this cake, they just bring back to my childhood memories..
However, my mum mentioned on my last trip to Indonesia early this year that they are now making this cake in pandan flavour! oohh Imagine that.. If you have been following me from the beginning, you may aware that I have big addiction to Pandan leaf. My mum made an attempt to buy the layer cake in Pandan flavour for me on my last visit but apparently they are selling really fast and we had to order far in advance. I guess this would add to my things to do list on my next visit to my hometown.
So, here they are, I present you the original flavour of Layer Cake (Kue Lapis Legit).
Indonesian Layer Cake (Kue Lapis Legit)
6 Egg Whites
15 Egg Yolks
250g Icing Sugar, sifted
390g Dutch Butter
120g Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 teaspoon Five Spice Powder (Bumbu Spekoek)
3 tablespoon Condensed Milk
1. Preheat oven to 180º and grease 20-22 cm square cake tin.
2. Whisk Egg Whites to soft peak. Gradually Add Icing Sugar till stiff peaks form.
3. Add Egg yolks one at a time, beating well between each yolk. Add butter and condensed milk, beat till well incorporated.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder and five spice powder together. Fold the flour mixture into batches.
5. Put about a third of a cup of the cake mixture onto the base of the cake tin and spread it evenly over the base. Place in oven and bake for about 5-7 minutes until golden brown.
6. Turn the oven to grill function. Add another third cup of the cake mixture for the second layer. Repeat the same process and keep going until you have finished all the batter.