I feel it's been so long since I wrote my last blog. Ok, I have an excuse as I am still on my 4 weeks holiday. Loving every moment not to wake up to alarm every morning and eating an awesome dish from Japan and Indonesia, I promise I'll share my holiday story with you once I'm back in Melbourne. It's sad that it's only 1 more week to go until coming back to reality. Well, it's time of the month for International Incident Party, organised by Jeroxie. I am very excited when I knew that this month theme is going to be sundae. I immediately had a great idea for this theme and it's one of great reason to use my brand spanking new ice cream maker. I quickly prepared this dish right in time before we went on holiday.
Red theme seems to be popular colour for this month, with chinese new year celebration on the first week and valentine's day. So I decided to use lots of strawberry flavour for the macaron and combination of strawberry and lychee for ice cream. Honest truth, me and hubby finished the ice cream in one day. Guilty! The flavour is very refreshing, it's just the perfect one for summer. The result of my macaron is not as great as I expected, don't worry I didn't throw them away, I crushed them instead for decoration. It is indeed a great combination between the lychee, strawberry and crushed macaron. It's just one of the great sundae flavor I can not resist.
165g Caster Sugar
565g Lychees Syrup
500ml Cream (whipping)
6 Eggs, at room temperature
Macaron, (you can find macaron recipe, here)
1. Reserve 50g of the strawberries for decoration. Hull and roughly chop the remaining strawberries and place in a bowl, along with any juices. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sugar and set aside for 30 minutes. Drain and finely chop the lychees, reserving 125ml of the syrup.
2. Put the milk, cream and remaining sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly for few minutes and the milk is just about to boil. Remove from heat.
3. Whisk the egg yolk in a bowl for 1 minute, or until combined, then add 60ml of the hot milk mixture. Stir to combine, then our into the remaining milk mixture. Return the saucepan to low medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, or until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil. Strain through a fine serve and set aside to cool.
4. Gently stir the strawberries and any juice, lychee and lychee syrup into the custard to combine.
5. Transfer to an ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
In the meantime, prepare the macaron, you can find the macaron recipe here and create the heart shape or any fun shape for your fun sundae.
Once the macaron and ice cream ready, this is when the fun begins assembling the sundae and let your imagination out. Place 2 -3 scoop on your ice cream dish/bowl, crushed the macaron, swirl the strawberry sauce and repeat the same process until you reach the top of the bowl and garnish with heart shape.
You can check out my previous International Incident Party from the previous month, here